Why WooCommerce Meetups?
WooCommerce has emerged as the most popular method to sell online with close to 600K sites powered by WordPress and WooCommerce and over 6 million downloads. Our success has always been hinged onÂ the amazing WordPress & WooCommerce communities.
We would love to grow our community and integrate like-minded people to talk and help each other out with everything Woo-related. Are you an avid WooCommerce enthusiast and wanting to be a part of a community of passionate developers, store owners and ecommerce specialists? Weâd love you to get involved in organising our WooCommerce meetups all over the globe.
Meetups are meant to benefit the local WooCommerce community through live events and the broader WordPress community through the sharing of knowledge.
In the past year weâve crept more and more out of our cyber shell and attended an increasing amount of WordPress events and ecommerce events. The response to all things WooCommerce has been tremendous but the need users have for collaboration and assistance is abundant. We recognize that there are limitations to what we can do for our users online and thus want to create space for users (developers and store owners) to connect, help one another and see what emerges. Simply put, amazing things happen when people come together.
What are Meetups?
Meetups are a casual, locally and volunteer-organized event, sometimes with the sponsorship aid of WooThemes employees, focused on WooCommerce and reflecting the local community it represents. Meetups are non-profit events, organized with budget and funding transparency.
Event Best Practices
- Provide useful relevant content
- Create a nice atmosphere
- Allow time for networking
Important things to keep in mind as an organiser:
- No discrimination on the basis of economic or social status, race, color, ethnic origin, national origin, creed, religion, political belief, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, age, or disability
- No incitement to violence or promotion of hate
- No spammers
- No jerks
- Respect the WooCommerce trademark
- Embrace the WooCommerce license
- Meetups are volunteer-run with volunteer speakers. In cases where a modest attendance fee might be necessary, this fee should only cover the costs of the meetup and shouldnât be used to pay speakers or organizers.
Expectations for Organizers
- Feedback from events (photos, quick recap)
- Commitment to a regular series of events (can be monthly, every other month quarterly)
- Transparency around budget/spend
Selection of WooCommerce Meetup Leaders (Best Practices for the formation of Meetups)
The ideal WooCommerce Meetup organizer is someone who is passionate and knowledgeable about WordPress, WooCommerce and ecommerce in general. This person/persons has a passion for community, helping others and organization of events.
For long term sustainability of a meetup it is suggested that an organizer work together with a co-organizer.
For the time being WooThemes will express an interest in launching WooCommerce meetups in select cities and will be fielding requests from organizers on a case by case basis.
In future WooCommerce Meetups with be chapterized on Meetup.com enabling organizers to emerge with the moderation of WooThemes.
Involvement from WooThemes (What are we going to provide?)
- Cover Meetup.com fees
- Coverage on our side (social / newsletter)
- Stipend towards venue fees. Organisers should try find free / donated space
- Connection to regional based partners (pre-selected by Woo)
- Assistance with presentation materials and/or educational resources